Fish tacos can be a great twist to a basic Mexican dish. This recipe adds a little spice and some coleslaw crunch to make it refreshing to the palette. This is often served on a hot summer beach or in an upscale Mexican restaurant.
Smoked Fish Tacos Ingredients
- Fish fillets (1-2 fillets per person depending on their size)
- 2-3 ounces of vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Diced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Diced tomato
- Cole slaw mix
- Lemon slice
- Flour tortillas
Smoked Fish Tacos Directions
- Heat your smoker to medium heat.
- Add enough vegetable oil to have a thin layer on the bottom of a foil pan.
- Skin the fish you catch and make sure to remove any bones from the fillets. You can run your finger across the fillet meat to ensure all bones have been properly cut out.
- Rinse the fish fillets of your choosing under water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Apply cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the fillets.
- Smoke the fish using a light fruit wood such as cherry or apple for 1 to 1 1/2 hour. Once the meat is white and flaky, pull it off and let it cool.
- Shred the meat and line the bottom of the flour tortillas with it.
- Add the coleslaw mix, diced tomato, diced avocado, cheese and squeeze the lemon juice over top